Chevrolet Bolt offers first national lease at $329 a month

Reactions

General Motors has started offering nationwide lease deals on the Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicle at $329 a month, with about $3,800 due at signing. Additionally, GM is including a 15,000-mile annual maximum, which compares favorably to the range of 10,000 to 12,000 miles offered by most other makers of EVs, according to CarsDirect. GM started offering the deal in April, and the offer expires at the end of the month.

The 36-month agreement is similar to many offered for Bolts in California, though the initial down payment has been closer to $1,500 in the Golden State. Still, the offer is similar to the one from BMW, which also charges $329 a month for its i3 but asks for $4,254 at signing. And the Bolt's 238-mile single-charge range is substantially longer than the i3's.

Beyond that, leases on electric vehicles run the gamut. On the high side, naturally, is Tesla, which charges about $800 a month and about $4,000 at signing for a base-level Model S. More in the middle is the Nissan Leaf, which is due for an upgrade and can be found at $199 a month. On the low end, Fiat is offering its 500e at $149 a month with $1,999 due at signing, though some leases have been spotted at as low as $49 a month. And according to Ford Authority, some 2016 Focus EVs (i.e. the ones made before the single-charge range was increased to 115 miles from 76) have been spotted for $119 a month, with just $669 due at signing.

Through March, GM had moved 3,092 Bolts, making the model the country's fourth-most popular EV behind Tesla's Model S and Model X, and the Leaf. BMW sold 1,403 BMW i3s, Volkswagen had sold 967 units of the e-Golf, and Ford moved 691 Focus EVs.

Text Source: Autoblog