ADAS Features

mr88cet

Reactions
Hey everybody!

Just joined.

I'm one of *many*, to say the least, who is in line to get a Tesla Model 3, but I do like most of what I see about the Bolt!

Obviously, the Bolt has the Model 3 beat in terms of immediate availability (although neither is available yet here in Austin, TX), and I also really like that it supports Apple CarPlay. However, there are two main areas where it appears the Model 3 will have the Bolt beat: Charging Station availability, and ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) functionality. I have questions about its ADAS features.

For example, I've heard conflicting reports as to whether the Bolt has Automatic Emergency Braking as *even an added-cost option*, let alone standard equipment. I know it has a braking alert system (to warn *you* to brake), but I'm not clear whether a system wherein *it* will hit the brakes for me if I don't, is available.

I've also heard conflicting reports as to how well the Bolt's Lane-Departure-Warning/Steering Assistance system works on curvy roads.

Anybody, especially current owners, have any comments on either of these ADAS systems in the Bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ChevyMike

Reactions
Welcome, the Chevy Bolt does have Lane Keeping Assist and Active Cruise Control. It does have forward collision warning but doesn't apply the brakes at high speeds.

OP
M

mr88cet

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Welcome, the Chevy Bolt does have Lane Keeping Assist and Active Cruise Control. It does have forward collision warning but doesn't apply the brakes at high speeds.
Thanks for the reply.

My other question was how well it's lane-departure warning/steering assistance works on curvy roads.

ChevyMike

Reactions
The Lane Keeping Assist is not as smooth as something on the luxury cars and I would never take my hands off the steering wheel with this system.

Thanks for the reply.

My other question was how well it's lane-departure warning/steering assistance works on curvy roads.

OP
M

mr88cet

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
The Lane Keeping Assist is not as smooth as something on the luxury cars and I would never take my hands off the steering wheel with this system.
Thanks again, ChevyMike.

Let me ask more specifically: I do understand that its Lane-Departure/Avoidance feature isn't intended to perfectly center you in your lane, but is more of the nature that it prevents you from straying out of your lane.

I've heard that described as "ping-ponging" you around in your lane, since that more or less describes what it would do if you were to take your hands off the wheel. Of course you should never take your hands off the wheel, since it's intended as a safety-assistance/backup feature, not an auto-drive feature.

Anyway, what I was wondering about was, if the road takes a moderate-to-sharp curve, whether it is likely to "give up" or "get confused," and not be able to provide lane-departure assistance in that scenario? I've heard that Toyota's essentially-equivalent feature can get confused if the road takes too sharp of a turn.

ChevyMike

Reactions
I've noticed if you are actively controlling the steering wheel the Lane Keeping Assist around turns the lane assist doesn't really kick in, more so travelling straight.

OP
M

mr88cet

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I've noticed if you are actively controlling the steering wheel the Lane Keeping Assist around turns the lane assist doesn't really kick in, more so travelling straight.
Gotcha. Thanks again, ChevyMike!

ChevyMike

Reactions
Glad to help. I would suggest taking one for a test drive.

OP
M

mr88cet

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Glad to help. I would suggest taking one for a test drive.
Once they make it to Austin -- August, I'm told.

OP
M

mr88cet

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Relatedly, does the adaptive cruise control go all the way down to zero speed? That is, if the car in front of you, in stop-and-go traffic, comes to a stop (not in the sense of a sudden emergency-stop), does the Bolt also come to a complete stop, and also start moving again when the car in front starts up again?

ChevyMike

Reactions
Sadly no, you only get a warning and no active braking.

Relatedly, does the adaptive cruise control go all the way down to zero speed? That is, if the car in front of you, in stop-and-go traffic, comes to a stop (not in the sense of a sudden emergency-stop), does the Bolt also come to a complete stop, and also start moving again when the car in front starts up again?